3 weeks to go!

I am one week closer to my Crawlin’ Crab half marathon!!  Only 3 weeks left to go!  Here is a recap of the past weeks training sessions:

20160907_194736Tuesday – Since I had pushed my long run to Monday last week, I decided to take Tuesday off to rest my legs. 

Wednesday – 5 treadmill miles down today with an average pace of 9:32.

Thursday – Tonight’s session was a speed session.  9 x 400M with a 400M walk in between each sprint.  Steven went to the track with me tonight, which was fun!  I can’t chat during a sprint, but we had time to catch up during our walking intervals.  And while it was pretty warm out, we never felt completely overheated because of the walk breaks.  I only recorded the sprints, but I was pleasantly surprised with my pace, even if it was only for .25 mile intervals.  After a total of 9 sprint sets, we had run a total of 2.34 miles at an average pace of 7:26!  Woot woot!  I think that’s the fastest I’ve ever run.  Now if only I could run multiple MILES at that pace.  Yeah, ummm…that’s not going to happen anytime soon.

I also wanted to give a shout out to Gabby.  She decided to run a 5k on the treadmill this evening because she hadn’t run in a while.  She was looking pretty strong and finished with an average pace of 10:21.  Way to go!!

Friday – Steven and I had the day off.  It was very hot outside so we decided to get our running in at the gym.  I only had 3 miles to complete today, but they were pretty tough.  I finished with an average pace of 9:43.  I’m almost finished watching “Stranger Things” so I’m going to have to find something else to keep me distracted when I have to run on the treadmill.  Hopefully the weather will cool down a bit soon and I will be running outside more often.

Saturday – Off!!  No workouts for me today.

Sunday – Long run Sunday!  I had 9 miles on my plate today.  I knew I had to be home, showered, and ready to go by 10:00 today to head to a birthday party in Waldorf.  In order to do this, I wanted to be running by 7a.m.  I didn’t sleep well so when I woke up a little before my alarm was schedule to go off (6 a.m.) I considered just turning off the alarm and dealing with the consequences later.  But I knew it would be hard to find time for a 9 miler later in the day so I finally crawled out of bed and got myself together.  This week I decided to use my hydration vest instead of my fuel belt because it can hold more water (I ran out last Sunday).  I ate a yogurt and headed out.  I decided to run in Wildewood today to change up the scenery a bit.  I knew Wildewood has a lot of rolling hills, but I also remembered having some successful runs there so I decided to give it a try.  On my drive to Evergreen Elementary, I ate about half of a Gu.  I packed another one to eat at mile 4.5.  After arriving, I did some quick stretching and hit the pavement right around 7a.m.  It was another tough run.  I ran the first 1.5 miles and then decided to take a quick walk break.  I decided to run down side streets because I worried that if I was out in the sun, I would become overheated too fast.  There is a lot of shade on the side streets.  I ran again until mile 3.  1/3 of the way there!  I planned to continue running 1.5 miles, walking .1 miles, but unfortunately, I wasn’t able to keep that up.  I was taking my walk breaks much faster and a couple of times, I even walked for .2 miles.  I was so glad to reach 4.5 miles and turn around to head back to the start.  I wanted to take my GU at this point, but I wasn’t able too.  I’m starting to think that it may be the heat that determines if I can eat a GU while I’m running.  I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before.  I am going to try something different during my next long run.  Perhaps pretzels, fig newtons, or something else salty instead of the sweet GU.  The rest of my run was pretty tough, but I was finally back at the Elementary school.  Even though I took a lot of walk breaks, I’m still happy that I covered the distance!  Only 3 weeks to go until I will be running 13.1!

After a quick cool down walk, I noticed the time.  It was around 8:35.  I was standing in front of the schools flag poles and decided to just hang out and reflect on the tragedies that occurred 15 years ago today instead of rushing home.  I sat there alone (apart from the runner who made a quick loop in the parking lot during that time) feeling emotional, yet peaceful, for about 10 minutes.  And when it was time for the “official” moment of silence, the sun came out so strong for about 30 seconds.  I don’t know if I would have believed it if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.  Never Forget!

I am hoping to run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday this week ahead.  The weather is supposed to be a little cooler this week (with the exception of Wednesday), so I’m hoping to get outside more often so that I feel more comfortable running outside.

QOTD – Any suggestions for non-sweet fuel for my long run next week?  What do you use?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s