Running Is Like a Box of Chocolates

This week has been a mixture of lows and highs when it comes to running.  Its funny how different your mind and body can feel on one run versus another run 2 days later.  And for the life of me, I can’t figure out the difference.  There are so many variables that its just so hard to pinpoint.  Did I eat better one day versus the other?  Did I sleep better?  Was I more hydrated?  Was it the time of day?  Was the sun too strong?  I don’t know.  I can’t figure it out.  Mostly, I just think you are going to have good days and bad days.


On Monday, I went back to my yoga class at the gym. I was excited to try out my new yoga mat that I “purchased” at a Wellness Day event that my company puts on each year. Throughout the year, employees are rewarded with fake currency for participating in various wellness-related activities. At the end of the year, we are able to spend what we have earned on various wellness-related products. I was able to “purchase” a new yoga mat, a blender bottle, and a collapsible lunch container this year. SCORE!! I had noticed at hot yoga how thin my yoga mat was compared to Sam’s. So when I saw the thick yoga mat at the Wellness store, I was very excited. I couldn’t wait to try it out.  Look at it compared to my old yoga mat.

20150917_202855 20150917_202807

Yoga was great. The instructor changed a couple of the tracks. It was nice to try some new ab exercises. The relaxation/meditation at the end of the class was also very nice. I remember the first time I took a yoga class (years ago), I was surprised that we spent the last 10 minutes laying down with our eyes closed. It made me uncomfortable and I kept peaking the entire time and was even chuckling to myself.   I have come a long way 😉


Sam and I decided to meet at the track on base after work for our run. We had 5 miles on the schedule today! We decided not to run speed intervals on the track and instead ran part of the course we sometimes run on Sundays. It. Was. Rough. And that is an understatement. I’m not sure why I had such a hard time today but it was very disheartening. We did start out pretty swiftly (running the 1st mile at 9:47 and the 2nd mile at 9:36), but not SO fast that I should have been feeling *that* rough. I couldn’t clear my throat and I have not learned how to properly hock a loogie yet like a seasoned runner can do. Sam kept asking me if I was alright because I was obnoxiously coughing and trying to clear my throat. I was also having trouble drinking from my new hydration vest tube. I’m definitely a mouth breather so when I would close my mouth around the tube, I was having trouble breathing. Leave it to me to not be able to drink and breathe at the same time!! I’ve got to remember to drink a little before I start running so that there is already water in the tube and I don’t feel like I’m dying while trying to suck water out of the tube. So anyway, I ended up having to take a walk break. Sam was looking strong so I told her to go on ahead without me. I drank ferociously as I walked and then with her out of ear shot, I was able to spit and hock loogies and clear out all that nasty stuff. Sorry for TMI. I walked for .15 and then picked it back up again. I told myself I would push it and then take another walk break at 4.15 if I needed it. I ran the 3rd mile in 10:10, which was fast for me, considering I walked .15 of it. I was still struggling though and decided I would walk again at 3.15, which I did for another .15. I ran mile 4 at a 10:12 pace, again pretty good for walking .15. I was catching up to Sam right around mile 4.25, but I had already told myself that I would take my last walk break at 4.30. I probably could have pushed through at that point, but I didn’t. I took my walk break and it was a glorious .15 mile of walking. Knowing I only had to run another .55 mile after the walk made it a little easier to finish. I finished that last mile in 9:52, even with the walk break. While my total time was pretty good (9:56 pace), I couldn’t help but feel a little down about the run. It was SOOOO hard and I felt like absolute crap during and afterwards. How am I supposed to maintain a 9:53 pace for 13 miles in a couple of weeks? I’m hoping that I feel better on my next run on Thursday. And if I don’t reach my sub 2:10 goal at Crawlin Crab, I will have other opportunities. At least that’s what I’m telling myself 🙂


And on a side note, Steven took a 5 mile run tonight and he and Gabby ended up both wearing their Rock N Roll DC 5k shirts without planning to.  I thought it was cute and of course, had to take a picture.



On Wednesday, I went back to body pump!! Yay. It had been 2 weeks since I had been. I had missed the last 2 Saturdays (one was to watch Gabby swim and one was because I took a different class) and I missed last Wednesday because I was resting my hip. I expected it to be a rough class, but I actually felt pretty strong. I’m sure I’ll be a little sore tomorrow though. Our instructor said the new release is out! She is hoping for an early October launch! Woot woot!


Tonight’s run was AWESOME!  Sam and I were supposed to run at 6:15 tonight from our neighborhood down Chancellors Run Rd.  Makayla asked if she could got to Chancellors Run Park to hang out with her cousins because they were there for a baseball game.  So we decided to drop her off and then just start our run from the park.  I was a little nervous because we were going to run a couple of hills and after Tuesday, I just wasn’t sure what to expect.  I could tell from mile 1 that tonight was going to be a much better run.  We ran towards Great Mills Road and turned around once we got close to the end.  I could tell we were picking up the pace for the 2nd mile, but it didn’t seem to bother either of us, even on the hills.  By the time we got to our last mile, we were running at a 9:10 pace and still feeling good  What a world of difference!  Our total average pace was 9:41 and I felt like I could have kept running.  Tonight’s run was just what I needed to boost my confidence about my upcoming race.  Let’s just hope I have a run like today again on race day!!

20150917_192048 Screenshot_2015-09-17-20-34-08

I am one more week closer to my first race of the season and I am starting to get excited about it!  Also excited for the upcoming weekend.  No major plans so it should be a good one!

QOTD:  Do you have any plans for the upcoming weekend?

4 thoughts on “Running Is Like a Box of Chocolates

  1. This weekend I have my twilight wounded warrior run in Fredericksburg . After being sick I hope I can do it at a decent pace for me . If not there’s always next week ! BTW you rock Kim .


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s